Saturday, May 24, 2008

Evon's 'Leng zhen tou' aka chowchow! Our longest submission yet!

Real name or Nickname: Evon

Age: 23

Location: Singapore

My chowchow is called: Used to be 'Leng zhen tou' aka 'cold pillow' but has since been renamed to chowchow.

My chowchow is a…: Pillow that I've owned since I was a baby.

Number of chowchow years it has lived: As long as I've been alive, and probably existed before me, so I would estimate it as 23 years.

History of my chowchow: It's one of the 2 pillows that belonged to my parents - one was given to me and the other to my brother. I believe they were the first pillows that they got when they got married. I used to carry my chowchow around everywhere I went (within the confines of my home) when I was young; even into the kitchen and sometimes to the dining table, which would result in me getting screamed at by my mom, accompanied by threats of throwing it out. The best way to piss me off would be to hide my chowchow - the favourite activity of my brother in the past and the current favourite activity of my husband. The current one that I have is actually chowchow version 2, cos my mom threw away my original chowchow, which resulted in a bawling baby, aka me, at about 19 years old. But I did get another chowchow in the form of my brother's pillow, also known as chowchow's brother. So the current chowchow that I have is chowchow version 2, the successor of the first, carrying on the scent and memories of the old chowchow.

When was the last time your chowchow had a bath? : Erm, like, never? The pillow doesn't get washed but the cover does, of course. The point of my chowchow is to smell like a "chow chow", so no way am I washing it. Plus, I don't think it will survive a wash. It'll probably disintegrate in the water.

My family’s relationship with my chowchow: My parents and brother hated it cos I carried it everywhere and they couldn't stand the smell of it, especially if I tried to gag them with it. My dog can't stand the smell of my chowchow as well - he would turn his head away whenever we place it in front of his nose.

My bed partner’s relationship with my chowchow: My husband has a love-hate relationship with it now - I sometimes fight with him over my chowchow cos he seems to have taken a liking to it as well, but he too hates it when I use it to gag him.

Finally, I love my chowchow because…: it has been with me for practically my entire life! It has gone through several highs and lows of my life, and has comforted me in ways that no one else can - which is to maintain silence while cuddling close to my heart and listening to all that I say without interrupting me, soaking in all my tears when I am sad, and allowing me to throw him around and bash him up when I am angry. I love my chowchow simply because it is the way it is - smelly, soft, cool to the touch and comfy.

1 comment:

zack said...

wah. thats an interesting chow chow u have there. love the pic.